About 20 participants travelled on all or some of an eight-mile route showcasing trails and on-road bike facilities on Santa Fe’s South Side.
Starting and ending at the South Side Library, the ride was organized and led by Tim Rogers of SFCT and supported by Clemente MacFarlane of Sirius Cycles, at the starting point, and Charlie O’Leary of SFCT at the mid-way point. The route included:
- Almost all of Tierra Contenta’s “Arroyo de los Chamisos Urban Trail”
- Calm roads with traffic calming, including New Mexico’s only known example of a raised intersection, on Contenta Ridge
- Bike lanes on Jaguar Dr., Plaza Central, Paseo del Sol W., Airport Rd., and Paseo del Sol (see Santa Fe MPO’s Bikeways and Trails Map)
- Santa Fe County River Trail (a/k/a “Camino Real Hiking Trail”), complete section between Constellation Dr. and Agua Fria St., including test trail sections (and refreshments provided by SFCT) at the Constellation Dr. trailhead.
- City of Santa Fe’s MRC Trail, a soft-surface facility to Municipal Recreation Center that was graded and signed by the City in the 1990s, from the River Trail to the NM599 (Relief Route) “equestrian underpass.”
After the South Side Community Cruise, several participants rode the City’s newly re-paved Arroyo Chamiso Trail, and Mr. Rogers visited several bicycle shops to gather donations for the upcoming Bike to Work Day “goathead piñata.”