Walk and Roll to School events with Santa Fe Public Schools are well underway this Fall. As of October we now have TEN schools participating on a regular basis:
- Acequia Madre Elementary School, Bike on Fridays from Patrick Smith Park (7:30 am)
- Amy Biehl Community School, Wednesdays from Rancho Viejo Plaza Park (7:30 am)
- Aspen Community School, Thursdays from Griego Park on the River Trail (7:30 am)
- Chaparral Elementary School, Fridays from Ragle Park Shade Structure (7:30 am)
- El Camino Real Academy, Wednesdays from Park by Cottonwood Village office (7:30 am)
- Kearny Elementary School, Thursdays from Herb Martinez Park (7:30 am) and Resolana Park (7:40 am)
- Nina Otero Community School, Bike on Tuesdays from SWAN Park (7:10 am), Walk on Wednesdays from South Side Library (7:10 am). Students and families headed to Cesar Chavez ES or Capital HS always welcome!
- Ortiz Middle School, Bike on First Tuesday of month from South Side Library (8:15 am)
- Ramirez-Thomas Elementary School, Fridays from Dawson’s Park or corner of Griego & Joshua (7:30 am)
- Salazar Elementary School, Fridays from Frenchy’s Field / Maclovia Park (7:30 am)
In addition, as part of the celebration of National Walk and Roll to School Day(s) in October, we will walk to Piñon Elementary School on Friday Oct. 20 from Pueblos del Sol Park (7:30 am).
The Santa Fe Safe Routes to School team is excited to work with your school to set up “walking school busses,” “bike trains,” and other ways to promote regularly walking or bicycling to and from school. From just September 2021 to June 2023, we walked or biked with over 3,000 students and nearly 4,500 overall participants headed to one of over a dozen SFPS schools, as summarized here. Detailed summaries of participation by school season are provided in the links at the bottom of this page.
Some of the most successful promotions start with participating in National Walk and Roll to School Day in October or National Bike to School Day in May. Schools may arrange a walk-to-school or bike-to-school procession of students and families from a popular nearby site, such as a park, or simply encourage students to arrive on foot or by bike.
- Bike the Arroyo to Nina Otero, Capital HS, Cesar Chavez, Sweeney ES, Ortiz MS, and Santa Fe School for the Arts and Sciences, May 2, 2023
- BIke Trains to El Camino Real Academy, May 3, 2023
- Bike the River to Aspen Community School, Gonzales, Acequia Madre, Carlos Gilbert, and Mandela Intl., May 4, 2023
- Earth Day Walk to Pinon Elementary School, April 21, 2023 – our biggest event ever with 120 participants!
- Walk to Sweeney E.S., May 20, 2022
- Bike-to-School Week, May 3-5, 2022
- Walk to El Camino Real Academy, Wed., Dec. 15, 2021
- Walk to Aspen Community School, Thurs., Dec. 16, 2021 – Jueves a Pie (Aspen Flyer in Spanish)
- International Walk-to-School Day, Oct. 6, 2021
Summaries of participation in Walking School Busses and Bike Trains, by School Season:
- Walks and Bikes from School in Summer 2021
- Walking Schoolbusses and Bike Trains in Fall 2021
- Walking Schoolbusses and Bike Trains in Spring 2022
- Walking Schoolbusses and Bike Trains in Fall 2022
- Walking Schoolbusses and Bike Trains in Spring 2023
SFCT has celebrated National Bike-to-School Day for years. Here are some links to events organized by SFCT that pre-date the federally-funded SFSRTS initiative: